Even though much has changed over the years with the ruling on same sex marriage, coming out as being gay or bisexual can still be quite frightening due to all the criticism from people, friends, and family who don’t support the LGBT community. But imagine being a celebrity and disclosing your sexual orientation to the world and not really knowing how your fans will react, that has to be even more difficult. Lets see if you knew that the following 21 celebrities were gay.
1. Ellen Page
2. Sarah Paulson
3. Kristian Nairn
4. Jodie Foster
5. Matt Bomer
6. Sir Ian Mckellen
7. Amber Heard
8. Wentworth Miller
9. Victor Garber
10. Matt Dallas
11. Jonathan Bennett
12. Jonathan Groff
13. David Hyde Pierce
14. Cynthia Nixon
15. Cary Grant
16. Wanda Sykes
17. Raven Symone
18. Michelle Rodriguez
19. Anderson Cooper
20. Frank Ocean
21. Jim Parsons
22. Jim Parsons‘True Blood’s’ Anna Paquin married her co-star Stephen Moyer in 2010. In June 2014, Anna tweeted, “Proud to be a happily married bisexual mother. Marriage is about love not gender.”
23. Rupert EverettRupert Everett has appeared in movies such as ‘My Best Friend’s Wedding,’ ‘The Next Best Thing,’ and ‘Shrek.’ The actor has had a difficult time being open about his sexuality over the years facing criticism from family and friends. He advised actors to keep their sexuality private because straight men get offered more parts to play.
24. Carrie BrownsteinThis ‘Portlandia’ star has been questioned about her sexuality for many years. In 2012, she told Willamette Week, “It’s weird, because no one’s actually ever asked me. People just always assume, like, you’re this or that. It’s like, ‘OK. I’m bisexual.”
25. Alan CummingAlan Cumming, known for his roles in ‘X Men’ and ‘The Good Wife’, spoke on Larry King Now about his sexuality. He said: “Yeah I mean I’ve always been bisexual. I had a boyfriend before I was married and I’ve always sort of felt I was bisexual.” He married his long time partner, Grant Shaffer in 2007 in London. They remarried in 2012 in New York.
26. Jane LynchWhen ‘Glee’ star Jane was a teen, she struggled with her sexuality and said that being gay “felt like a disease” and that she thought “she was the only gay person in the world.” Her role in the hit series ‘Glee’ has helped her be more open about her sexuality.
27. Clive DavisThe 80-year-old music mogul famous for helping Whitney Houston rise to stardom came out and revealed he’s bisexual in his new memoir, ‘The Soundtrack of My Life.’
28. Jillian Michaels‘The Biggest Loser’ coach Jillian Michaels came out as bisexual in ‘Lady’s Home Journal.’ In 2010, she told the magazine, “Let’s just say I believe in healthy love. If I fall in love with a woman, that’s awesome. If I fall in love with a man, that’s awesome. As long as you fall in love… it’s like organic food. I only eat healthy food, and I only want healthy love.”
29. Michael StipeREM’s frontman was often asked if he was gay or bisexual and he never commented. But in 2008, he finally revealed he is gay and said, “Now I recognize that for public figures to be very open about their sexuality helps some kid somewhere.”
30. Josh HutchersonThe 20-year-old ‘Hunger Games’ star identifies himself as “mostly straight” these days, but said, “Maybe I could say right now I’m 100% straight. But who knows? In a f**king year, I could meet a guy and be like, whoa, I’m attracted to this person.”
31. Tracy ChapmanFour-time Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter Tracy Chapman is best known for her number one hit ‘Fast Car.’ During the mid 90’s, she had a relationship with author Alice Walker, which was kept a secret. The singer has always kept her personal life private, but she is a proud lesbian and an advocate for LGBT.
32. Pete TownshendIn his autobiography ‘Who I Am: A Memoir’ published in 2012, Townshend revealed that he’s “probably bisexual.”
33. Megan FoxEven though she is married to actor Brian Austin Green, Fox confirmed that she is bisexual in 2011. The ‘Tranformer’s’ star told Esquire magazine: “I have no question in my mind about being bisexual. I’m also a hypocrite: I would never date a girl who was bisexual, because that means they also sleep with men, and men are so dirty that I’d never want to sleep with a girl who had slept with a man.”
34. Melissa EtheridgeCanadian actor Victor Garber is famous for his role in the movie ‘Titanic.’ He’s tried to kept his personal life private for many years, but in 2012, Garber finally revealed that he is gay and living with his long time partner Ranier Andreesen.