Catherine Svilicic was horrified after seeing what their family dog had done to her precious baby girl.
But then, as she was about to pick his son up and take him to his room, she noticed something strange…
When Catherine and her husband decided to adopt a Doberman Pinscher, they thought he could be the perfect addition to their family and would get along with their daughter just fine.
Unfortunately, this breed is known for being unpredictable.
Catherine’s husband had some doubts about the breed, but she assured him that everything would be fine.
The couple couldn’t help but fall in love with the adorable dog once they met him. They adopted him and named him Khan. Little did they know how much they would regret bringing him home.
Catherine and her husband were amazed at how quickly Khan adjusted to his new home. He behaved well around little Charlotte and was always calm and friendly.
“See? I told you!” Catherine said to her husband as she watched her daughter play with Khan. “They are very good with children!” But, sadly, her happiness would be short-lived.
A few days after adopting Khan, Catherine took her daughter out into the yard and watched them play together while she made coffee in the kitchen.
Then, suddenly, Khan started to behave aggressively towards Charlotte.
He started nudging Charlotte and pushing her around, something Catherine had never seen him do before.
He kept pushing her around as if he was trying to get her attention. But little Charlotte was oblivious and continued playing with her dolls.
Then, Khan grabbed her daughter by her diaper and started dragging her around. Catherine couldn’t believe what she was seeing. She couldn’t help but feel like it was all her fault for letting her daughter go outside alone.
But what Khan did next shocked her to the core…
Khan grabbed Charlotte once again and tossed her about three feet across the yard. Catherine ran outside and picked her daughter up. “What is wrong with you?” she shouted at Khan. “Get away from us!”
Khan attempted to get up and walk away, but he was struggling to stand on his feet. Then, his breathing slowed, and he collapsed on the floor.
Catherine couldn’t understand what had just happened to their dog. Was he in pain? But most importantly, why did he attack her daughter?
Then, she saw it…
A Mulga snake was lying in the grass next to Khan.
Khan had saved little Charlotte from one of the most dangerous snakes in Australia! But would he recover from its bite?
“If I had not seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed it,” Catherine recalls.
Khan might have been a bit too rough with Charlotte, but he saved her life. Catherine rushed the 90-pound dog to the vet, hoping it wasn’t too late…
“If you asked me to carry his weight right now, I don’t think I’d be able to do it,” she recalls.
She drove as fast as she could and made it to the vet just in time. The veterinarian gave Khan a shot of antivenom and told Catherine to pick him up in the morning.
The veterinarian wasn’t sure what the outcome would be, as Mugla snakes are the most venomous snakes in the country. Their venom could be fatal to a small child or a pet.
Would Khan make it through the night?
The next morning, Khan felt much better. The veterinarian believed he survived because the snake wasn’t able to inject all of its venom into his leg.
Catherine was extremely grateful for Khan. He saved her daughter’s life. “If Khan wants a gold bowl, Khan gets it. We owe him for the rest of his life,” she said.
Khan’s breeder, Kerry, wasn’t surprised when she heard the news. In fact, Khan’s grandfather once saved a child from a dangerous snake, too. He definitely has it in his blood.
“He was starving for attention and wanted to be loved because he came from an abused home, so I’m not surprised about what he has done at his new home,” she said.